An unusual combination of ingredients gives this salad its flavor. Sweet-tart cranberries are mixed with a tang of feta cheese to make it surprisingly tasty.
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
2 cups water
2 Spice Islands® Bay Leaves
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the lentils, water and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Drain and discard bay leaves. Rinse lentils in cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine the lentils, cranberries, walnuts, feta cheese and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour over lentil mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 435 calories, 22 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 1,026 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 17 g fiber, 20 g protein.