If you love potato skins, you'll love this healthy version made with sweet potatoes.
2 medium or large sweet potatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, minced
1 bag fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup light sour cream
2 ounces light cream cheese
1 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Bacon bits (optional)
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooling, saute shallots with the butter over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the fresh spinach to shallots and heat for 2-3 minutes until spinach has cooked down. Set aside.
- Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer (or whatever you prefer) inside with the peel so that they can stand up on their own. Mash the removed sweet potatoes with cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in chickpeas, spinach, and salt and pepper.
- Coat sweet potato skins only with a drizzle of oil and bake for about 5 minutes to get a crispier outside shell.
- Remove skins from the oven and fill each skin with the sweet potato mixture and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake again for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and filling is heated through. Top with bacon bits or other favorite skin toppings.